Thursday, January 17, 2013

Talking Swiss-German

Hi All

As some of you know from Tuesday after work at the Office working for Christian Horizons, Ursi picks me up to go to the Liebenzell Center to spend the night with Ursi, Jeff, Katie & Maya, and volunteer the next day (Wednesday).  There are two German volunteer's there too all Tuesday and Wednesday.  The rest of the week they live in Milton.

Anyways, on Tuesday evening this week as we were all sitting together having supper, Katie strongly insisted:  "Dad from now on I want you to speak Swiss-German only.  So after a short while of Katie bugging Jeff, I decided to talk to Katie in Swiss-German and in Swiss-German basically explained to her:  "Okay, how about from now on we just talk swiss-german.  That sound like a really good idea to me."  I don't remember what else I said in Swiss-German.  However Ursi joined in and said in Swiss-German that this sounds like a good idea, from now on on Tuesday night at the supper table we can only speak Swiss german.  Then Jeff joined in with whatever words he could remember from being exposed to the language.  I was supprised of the extra phrases in Swiss-German that Jeff knew when challenged.  Good for you Jeff!  How much Swiss-German the two volunteers from Germany understood I don't know.  However, in the end, Katie all frusrtated said:  "Would you please stop talking in that Bla Bla Bla Bla language I can't understand anything you're saying."  I guess Katie didn't want Jeff to Speak Swiss-German only all the time after that anymore.  It was a really fun time.

1 comment:

  1. What a surprise to find a new blog ! good Markus. I had a smile on my face by reading your language story. Yes that is what we all felt twenty years ago too. Bla-Bla-Bla-Bla -language......Enjoy the tuesday evening language class !!!
    Muetti

    ReplyDelete